Sunday, January 9, 2011

RANCHLANDS MYSTERIOUS HUM JANUARY UPDATE

The Ranchlands Hum still plagues a number of residents. Happily, the City of Calgary is willing to help seek a resolution to the problem. The Noise Investigation Team, in conjunction with the City, wants to intensify the search efforts.

The first step in this direction is for the team to work with Calgary Water Works. The team has learned there is an auxiliary pumping station near Ranchlands that may or may not be a contributing factor to the Noise.

Water Works has said they are willing to arrange at test whereby they would shut the pumps down and see if the Noise goes away. In order for this to work, people affected by the Noise would have to be home and listening, shut things off and on in their individual homes and report any changes.

The team would like to hear from any Ranchlands residents interested in participating with this phase of the investigation. Once the team determines how many participants they are, arrangements will be made with Calgary Water Works. The time and date of the test will be made available soon afterwards.

Please contact the team either through the Ranchlands Community Association at 403-241-0356 or via email at jmidi@hotmail.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has there been any progress in this investigation since January? For about the past 6 months I have begun to notice this hum in my home. I previously answered the questionnaire saying I had not heard anything. But now I am hearing a difficult to describe hum, very low, that seems to ocilate up and down, in frequency and at different times of the day but mostly in the nighttime hours, 11:00 pm to 8:00 or 9:00 am. The strangest thing about this hum is that I can only hear it in my right ear, but by blocking that ear I can almost stop hearing the hum. I was a bit concerned at first that it was in my head, but I am
convinced that it is not my hearing. No one else in the
house can seem to hear this very annoying sound, but it IS
there. Right now it is 3:00am April 13 2011, and it is loud
and keeping me awake.
Regards, Lorne

D. Negrey said...

Hi Lorne,

Sorry to hear that you are now noticing the Noise. The Team is meeting this Sunday to determine our next steps. We will let the community know what these will be. Hopefully, we will be able to arrive at a solution, soon.

Cheers,
D. Negrey

Ventrification said...

I'm hearing the same thing in Ajax, Ontario. I've explored electrical and plumbing solutions. Nothing has panned out. Hear it inside, not really outside but I can hear it in my detached garage at the rear of the house. Louder at night. Can't hear it behind any particular wall. Sounds like some kind of resonance through pipes or something - and from what I've read, it could be coming from a combination of sources meeting along some sound highway (eg pipes of studs of my house) . I do have a green transformer box on the front lawn but it only buzzes if you put your ear right up against it, not like the sound I hear inside. I'm interested to see what you come up with here!

D. Negrey said...

Sounds similar to quite a few other stories. The investigation is following some new leads. We are on twitter @jmidi if you would like to follow us there. Hopefully, you get some relief, soon.